In 1998 my youngest brother, Kelton, was diagnosed with autism, a developmental disability that affects communication and social interaction. Autism currently affects 1/88 people in the United States. Kelton is a talented individual who runs cross-country and track, wrestles, plays the drums, loves history, and collects bobble heads and keychains.

This year Kelton decided to enroll in his first art class where he discovered his skill for drawing. His unorthodox style made me reconsider my artwork and examine the differences and similarities that exist between our perspectives. According to Paul Collins’ Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism, artists are four times more likely to have autism in their families. Considering the number of artists in my family, this statistic made me question the similarities that exist between Kelton and me. For this reason, we have decided to draw one of his 6,481 keychains a day for one year. These drawings will be as simple and uninhibited as possible. This project will explore our individual perspectives and examine the similarities that exist between us as artists.

Day 128

Monday, January 24, 2011






This news report is about a boy with autism that Microsoft labeled a cheater because he repeatedly beat its online games in 3-4 days. This story reminded me of an excerpt from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. In this section Christopher describes his similarities with Sherlock Holmes:

"I like Sherlock Holmes. He is very intelligent and he solves the mystery and he says

The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.

But he notices them, like I do. Also it says in the book

Sherlock Holmes had, in a very remarkable degree, the power of detaching his mind at will.

And this is like me, too, because if I get really interested in something I don't notice anything else and Father can be calling me to come and eat my supper and I won't hear him" (p. 73).

Instead of being a cheater, maybe this boy just had the ability to observe obvious details and concentrate with no distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment