In 1998 my youngest brother, Kelton, was diagnosed with autism, a developmental disability that affects communication and social interaction. Autism currently affects 1/88 people in the United States. Kelton is a talented individual who runs cross-country and track, wrestles, plays the drums, loves history, and collects bobble heads and keychains.

This year Kelton decided to enroll in his first art class where he discovered his skill for drawing. His unorthodox style made me reconsider my artwork and examine the differences and similarities that exist between our perspectives. According to Paul Collins’ Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism, artists are four times more likely to have autism in their families. Considering the number of artists in my family, this statistic made me question the similarities that exist between Kelton and me. For this reason, we have decided to draw one of his 6,481 keychains a day for one year. These drawings will be as simple and uninhibited as possible. This project will explore our individual perspectives and examine the similarities that exist between us as artists.

Day 363



For the rest of the project I'm going to have a few people in
Kelt's life write guest posts. This entry is by our sister Kenzi.


I thought my dad was joking when he told me I was going to be Kelton's new aid at Whatcom Community College. I realized that he was being serious after attending orientation. As a recent Washington State University graduate, I was not exactly thrilled with the idea of spending my first year in the real world at community college.


It was a difficult process finding classes and programs that would work best for Kelt. After hours of research, tests, phone calls and meetings, my family realized that he would need an aid to be successful. We went back and forth between my mom and I, but finally decided it would seem more normal if I was the aid rather then his Mommy!


The first day of school Kelt introduced me as his personal secretary; last week he announced during math class that my breath smelled like grass; and in weight training he continues to tell everyone that I'm weak and can only do one pull-up. Being his personal secretary and sister can be unpredictable and nerve-racking, making it hard to decipher my role (sister or aid). Through this experience I have realized more then ever that I need to let him be himself. It’s important that people accept him for who he is.


If you were to ask Kelt about college, he would tell you that he's having fun and loves seeing people he knows. I'm happy that I'm helping my family and that Kelt gets to experience college. We've been going to Whatcom for four weeks and each day continues to be exciting. Wish us luck for the rest of the quarter!

3 comments:

  1. hi Kenzi!

    It's been great to read about your experiences.

    "Through this experience I have realized more then ever that I need to let him be himself. It’s important that people accept him for who he is."

    And if you learn this, it will all be worthwhile.

    Why should there be more African-American superheroes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adelaide,

    Thanks for responding! It's definitely worthwhile. Kelt's having a great time and I'm learning a lot about him. It's fun watching him interact with the students. He's met a couple nice guys in weight training and was even invited to one of their parties!

    As for the African-American superheroes... Kelt's a big fan of Marvel comics and just thinks there should be more diversity. One of his many observations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. https://foodkeychains.com/

    ReplyDelete